When you’re in a LDR, and if you’re lucky, you get to travel a lot to visit your S.O. If the distance is far enough that you have to fly, I definitely recommend choosing your favorite airline to travel on and signing up for their frequent flyer miles program. It might be tempting to buy tickets from whatever airline has cheapest tickets when you’re buying, but in the long run its not the best choice. Stick to one airline; be loyal to them and rack up those points. I personally like Southwest Airlines because they are super cheap (if you get them early), they have sales frequently (and they call them ‘LUV is in the Air’), and I like their points system. I’ve gotten a roundtrip flight from Oakland-to-San Diego for $100! Oh and they teamed up with Direct Tv so on some flights you get to watch movies/tv for free!
Their program is called Rapid Rewards, its free to sign up, the points don’t expire, and no black out dates. I just turned 21 a few months ago and I got 4 free alcohol drink tickets in the mail! I know they have a Southwest Visa Credit Card and you can earn points faster with it. I want to try it out, but I don’t want to get another credit card right now. And it’s easier to get TSA Pre-Check if you’re a rapid rewards member. TSA Pre-Check allows low-risk travelers expedited, more efficient security screening at certain airports. If you travel a lot, taking your shoes off and taking your laptop out can be a hassle. And the TSA Pre-Chek lines are faster. You’ll appreciate this if you’re like me and always get stuck behind little kids or people who take their damn time.
I’ve been saving my points for a couple of years now, so they are starting to add up! Aaron and I talked about it and set up a goal. I think it’s a really good idea to do this with your partner. Talk about what you want to do with your points, if you want want to go somewhere, and how many points you need to save up. Are you going to use the points to for a vacation together or use them for another visit with your S.O.
We are going to use our points take a trip together after I graduate. Maybe we will spend a week in New York, or travel around the East Coast (Boston? D.C.?) or maybe we will go to Disney World! There are sooo many options. We aren’t sure yet but there is plenty of time to decide.
Traveling Tips that I learned the hard way:
- If you can, check-in online 24 hours before your flight to get a a good boarding number
- If it’s a short (weekend trip) only take a carry-on bag and a backpack to avoid having to wait in line to check-in bags and then wait some more after the flight to claim
- Don’t wear jewelry, belts, or shoes that you have to tie/hard to get on or off (wear socks so that you don’t have to walk around barefoot. Gross!)
- Wear comfortable clothes, you’re going to sit a lot waiting to board the plane, then during the flight, in seats that are too close together so you want to be as comfortable as possible
- Don’t forget your headphones, charge your iPod, and bring a book, magazine or iPad to entertain yourself
- It sucks leaving you’re S.O. behind, so if you tend to cry easily have some tissue on you
- Don’t forget your passport and state ID!